Facilities at Bedford Hall include a fully licensed bar, large kitchen, Lounge which holds up to 60 people, Large main hall, which can hold up to 200 people or 150 seated for a function. There is ample off road parking and disabled access. Outside, there is plenty of space for a canopy, and for taking of photos, etc. Viewing is essential, and can be arranged at any time. Fees on request.
Bedford Hall is a historic building dating back to 1848 and was saved and restored as a community resource in 1981 with the main building opened as a centre for community use, parties, weddings, conferences, village fairs, etc.
From 1848, Samuel Sanders Teulon began the redevelopment of Thorney including the Tank Yard buildings for Francis, the 7th Duke of Bedford, as part of his model village.
The 96ft brick tower, built in 1855, houses a large cast iron tank on the sixth floor once providing water to the village. Water was fed to the Tank Yard via the Thorney River from the Nene where two engines installed in the cellars of the Hall pumped the water to the tower tank.
Other parts of the Tank yard complex included a blacksmith's shop, craftsmen's workshops, a timber store, a sawmill and the engineer's house.
The collection of buildings in a Jacobean style at the Tank Yard, Thorney are now home to the Bedford Hall, Thorney Society's Heritage museum, the fire station, the North Level Drainage Board offices and several small businesses.
For more information on the history of Thorney visit the Museum or go to www.thorney-museum.org.uk